You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to LaraCroftForum.com. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Catracoth

• "Catracoth" is male

TR Platforms: Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, PS1, PC

Currently Playing: Fallout: New Vegas

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 2:14pm

Agreed. As a matter of fact, I didn't even consider Amanda to be the character or the doppelganger at first when they said "all new character"; I thought they were creating someone just for this, but then they said it was her shadow, and after playing Underworld, I thought it might be the doppelganger. Sure enough, here she is, [hehe] !

They mentioned new gameplay, and we know what the doppelganger is capable of, so I wouldn't be surprised if she can jump extreme heights like in Croft Manor, or even fly like she did in the Arctic Sea level to knock Lara down. It wasn't flying exactly, but you know what I mean. Very interesting news though.
RPG Character Profile
"A famous explorer once said that the extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are."

RedHell

Fridge Raider

• "RedHell" is female

TR Platforms: PC, GBC, Xbox 360

Thursday, February 19th 2009, 10:52am

The release date of BTA is confirmed, finally... I hope there won't be any other problems so it gets delayed again...

Quoted from "jaywalker"

Beneath the Ashes has passed all testing at Microsoft and has been given a confirmed release date of the 24th February 2009.
Truly appreciate all your patience on this.

Source
"It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept."

WintersDream

Starting Raider

• "WintersDream" is female

TR Platforms: PC PS2 DS Xbox 360

Currently Playing: Halo 3

Thursday, February 19th 2009, 2:01pm

Finally! :happyjump
:rope:I has a rope and I'm not afraid to use it! :rope:

Catracoth

• "Catracoth" is male

Thursday, February 19th 2009, 6:25pm

I'll have to get to GameStop sometime soon and buy more Microsoft Points.
RPG Character Profile
"A famous explorer once said that the extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are."

LaraCFan19

New Raider

TR Platforms: PC Mac PlayStation PS2 PS3 PSP Saturn Dreamcast GBC GBA DS Gamecube Wii Xbox Xbox 360

Friday, February 20th 2009, 10:29pm

Xbox 360 Beneath The Ashes . It Should Be On Every Console

Heyyah . I Just Wanted To Say That I Dont Think It Is Fair That Beneath The Ashes And The Other Extra Level Are Only On The 360 They Should Be On Ps3 And Wii Since They Have Internet Aswell. So Who Agrees With Me .

[;) By The Way Im New :-D] :o) :flames :frost

Here Is A Link To A Funny Tomb Raider Video From Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWWEFMUPryM

Catracoth

• "Catracoth" is male

Saturday, February 21st 2009, 2:07am

Moved to the appropriate location.

Well, I don't want to start a flame console war, so I'll just say that I think it is fair, and you should read about the situation to understand how it all started, then you might see different.
RPG Character Profile

tombraidergirl

Lara Croft

• "tombraidergirl" is female
  • "tombraidergirl" started this thread

TR Platforms: PC, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, Android Tablet

Currently Playing: Temple of Osiris

Saturday, February 21st 2009, 12:27pm

I partially agree, it is not really fair. The PC and PS3 gamers should have gotten the content as well. The Wii is a completely different matter as it is not up to date and would need completely different content, while offering it for PC and PS3 should be fairly easy. From what I've read the Xbox community is the smallest of the three, so releasing it for Xbox only excludes a lot of gamers and from a fan perspective, that is not fair. I personally do not have the problem now, nor will I have it with the next game, no matter who may get an exclusive then, but it still sucks for the community. And I hope such a thing never happens again in the future. Tomb Raider is a game with a huge community that works (mainly) together (see Level Editor), not a community that needs (console) wars, because thats what unfair treatment gets you...

RedHell

Fridge Raider

• "RedHell" is female

Saturday, February 21st 2009, 1:17pm

I agree that it's annoying for people who don't own a 360, too.

But I also understand Catracoth since now I know that Microsoft apporached Eidos and wanted exclusive DLC and not vice versa, and without this approach there wouldn't be any DLC for TRU at all since Eidos didn't originally plan to develop DLC.

Catracoth

• "Catracoth" is male

Saturday, February 21st 2009, 3:44pm

I'll stray off the console war path for here on in, but I will give the details and my opinion on it - the fact of the matter is, Microsoft approached Eidos and asked if they could make downloadable content for them, and Eidos already had some ideas (Beneath the Ashes) that was supposed to be in Tomb Raider Underworld as a complete level, but was cut due to meeting schedule requirements.

According to videogamer.com :

"To be honest, it completely came down in the other way," he [Eric Lindstrom] said. "We were approached by Microsoft, who asked us if we could make some downloadable content for them. It was a great opportunity, it was a great deal and we're happy to do it. The DLC that we're making for Microsoft is especially made. It's not part of the main game that we saved - we put all the game out there that we were going to put out there. Now we're going to the trouble of adding on spaces where they logically make sense, telling parts of the story."

Sony knew of Microsoft approaching Eidos and they made no movements. I'm trying to cite my source for this, but I distinctly remember Eric saying that he knew Sony knew, and they would have offered the DLC for them as well, but they never asked nor made a movement to show they cared, so Microsoft thought this a good opportunity to make a deal with Eidos and pay them a great deal of money to make the DLC exclusive to the Xbox 360. Not to mention Eidos won't be releasing other content for the PS3 or PC either.

Now, I don't mean to seem heartless toward the PC and PS3 players, but they need to figure out who they should really be mad at. I mean, nowadays I do believe it's the PS3 owners who add fuel to the fire. Xbox 360 defends itself and PC stays out of the flames, and I'm not just saying that as a 360 owner since I do play PS3 as well. I believe the PS3 owners don't wish to blame their high and mighty host Sony for their wrongdoing. They can't seem to admit that their own almighty God has done them wrong - they refuse to believe it, and therefore not even if the world was crumbling would they blame the proper party, but will continue to blame Eidos and target rockets at Microsoft.

Because last I checked, PS3 has received their fair share of exclusive content that some X360 owners would love to get their hands on; Uncharted, Little Big Planet, MGS4, etc. but we didn't tear up the streets and riot did we? But now that it comes to PS3 getting the cold shoulder, it's like a global crime or something and it's a whole different story! Well, it isn't, and people need to learn that the world is an unfair place, and we just have to deal with it.
RPG Character Profile

Wile E. Coyote

Roadrunner Raider

• "Wile E. Coyote" is male

TR Platforms: PC, PS2, PS3, PSP

Currently Playing: Uncharted, Rise of the Tomb Raider

Saturday, February 21st 2009, 5:46pm

Sony knew of Microsoft approaching Eidos and they made no movements.
If that's really true, Sonys marketing department should be fired. ;-)

Concerning Console Wars: I think there wouldn't be so much bickering about who has got the better console if people weren't as as elitist as they are. There is no reason for anyone to look down on the fans of the other console; as trg said, we own both, a PS3 and an Xbox360, and so we know first hand that they both have their up and down sides, like it is with almost every product. But it seems that most people just cannot admit that.
--
Signature is futile.

tombraidergirl

Lara Croft

Saturday, February 21st 2009, 6:05pm

Sorry Cat, if I say so, but your posting does exactly that, adding fuel to the console-war-fire and in a totally unnecessary way.

I does not matter who approached Eidos or not, it was still their decision to accept the proposal. It is their responsibility to see that all gamers are treated equally. Yes, maybe Sony could have done something, but that is totally besides the point - a point you seem to be missing, because you reduce it to a console war issue, which it is not! - because who should be stepping up for the PC gamers? There is noone... Eidos should have known that accepting such a deal would mean a lot of sad, annoyed gamers.

Please tell me, who should PC gamers be mad at, if not Eidos? BTW what does being mad at Eidos have to do with console war? Nothing. Most of the gamers I personally know don't care which console they have, sadly there are a few who always have to make it about Xbox VS PS3. :no:

Catracoth

• "Catracoth" is male

Saturday, February 21st 2009, 7:10pm

I does not matter who approached Eidos or not, it was still their decision to accept the proposal. It is their responsibility to see that all gamers are treated equally. Yes, maybe Sony could have done something, but that is totally besides the point - a point you seem to be missing, because you reduce it to a console war issue, which it is not! - because who should be stepping up for the PC gamers? There is noone... Eidos should have known that accepting such a deal would mean a lot of sad, annoyed gamers.
Perhaps, but it's all about money nowadays, and the game companies are the vultures - Eidos was paid a lot of money to keep this a 360 exclusive, what were they going to do, say no and lose what Microsoft offered? No, it's not right that they didn't think of the other gamers, but with that much money in their faces, fairness and equality were the last things going through their heads. As for PC gamers, you're right, there's no one since PCs are manufactured by different companies, all of which can handle video games, so for PC gamers, they have no one to blame.
Please tell me, who should PC gamers be mad at, if not Eidos? BTW what does being mad at Eidos have to do with console war? Nothing. Most of the gamers I personally know don't care which console they have, sadly there are a few who always have to make it about Xbox VS PS3. :no:
I don't know who PC gamers should be mad at other than Eidos, but I'm not talking about who they should be mad at, I'm talking about PS3 gamers - they shouldn't be mad at Eidos, they should be mad at Sony for not making a move. True, they should be a bit mad at Eidos for not approaching Sony, but all the blame should not be thrown on Eidos at all. Both Eidos and Sony are at fault here.

I personally don't care which console I have either, since I really couldn't care less since this console war is more pointless than the taxes the English put on the colonists in the 1700's, but I'm not making this about Xbox and PS3 - it's just that these are the two consoles who are actually going at each other in this console war - PC and Wii aren't getting themselves involved last I checked.

However, I do apologise if my input added fuel to the fire - that wasn't my intention, I just wanted to set the record straight.
RPG Character Profile

tombraidergirl

Lara Croft

Saturday, February 21st 2009, 7:46pm

Ok, I think we can leave it at that. :hug

Catracoth

• "Catracoth" is male

Saturday, February 21st 2009, 7:48pm

Indeed, :hug . On a more friendlier topic, only three more days for Beneath the Ashes! I'm more excited for Lara's Shadow, I must admit.
RPG Character Profile

RedHell

Fridge Raider

• "RedHell" is female

Sunday, February 22nd 2009, 10:34am

I'm more excited for Lara's Shadow, I must admit.

Me, too. I really hope it doesn't take place in the manor, though... I'd like to see a different location for LS.

Catracoth

• "Catracoth" is male

Sunday, February 22nd 2009, 3:09pm

No, Croft Manor isn't the only mission in the game - there's quite a few. I found the achievements, and from this, there's a Training Level and a "Refinery" and a place where you must destroy a Transformer and escape through an unstable passage.

Spoiler Spoiler

Treasure Hunter
Find all Treasures in Lara's Shadow
Relic Hunter
Find the Hidden Relic in Lara's Shadow
Master Reward Hunter
Find the Hidden Relic and all Treasures in Lara's Shadow
Lara's Shadow
Complete the Lara's Shadow Mission
Refinery Speed Run
Complete a timed speed run from the first slope in the Refinery to the back platform without saving
Right of Passage
After destroying the Transformer, beat a timed speed run through the unstable passage without saving
Shadow Combat Master
Complete the combat tutorial in Lara's Shadow

Along with the Beneath the Ashes achievements, not a lot compared to Lara's Shadow.

Spoiler Spoiler

Beneath the Ashes
Complete the Beneath the Ashes Mission
Master Collector
Find the Hidden Relic and all Treasures in Beneath the Ashes
Collector
Find the Hidden Relic in Beneath the Ashes

Also, a new screenshot from Beneath the Ashes. The large, albino spiders make a confusing return.

They were infected by some strange thing in Mexico - so how the hell are the huge ones under Lara's manor? It doesn't make any sense.
RPG Character Profile

tombraidergirl

Lara Croft

Sunday, February 22nd 2009, 8:08pm

The Lara's Shadow achievements sound more intersting.

RedHell

Fridge Raider

• "RedHell" is female

Monday, February 23rd 2009, 10:04am

They were infected by some strange thing in Mexico - so how the hell are the huge ones under Lara's manor? It doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, and I read something about a knight thrall... Maybe Richard did not only bring two cute tiger thralls with him, but also a whole lot of other critters [hehe]
But I guess the developers were just copying and pasting enemies from former levels of the game that seemed to be the most fitting type of creatures for a gloomy setting under the manor.

And I agree, judging by the amount of achievements LS seems to be the more interesting DLC, and BtA to be rather short.

tombraidergirl

Lara Croft

Monday, February 23rd 2009, 11:19am

That we will find out tomorrow.

Edit: My game downloaded an update today and it now tells me that DLC is available... which is a lie. [hehe]

Does anyone have a gold membership? Maybe it is available but only for gold members? I don't really believe it, but you never know.

RedHell

Fridge Raider

• "RedHell" is female

Monday, February 23rd 2009, 6:30pm

I can't answer your question, but I wanted to share quite an interesting interview with Ron Rosenberg, the senior producer of both DLC episodes:

Eurogamer interview

He reveils some facts we (or at least I) didn't know before, like how BtA begins.

Edit: And there's a trailer now!

BtA trailer