You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to LaraCroftForum.com. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Catracoth

• "Catracoth" is male
  • "Catracoth" started this thread

TR Platforms: Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, PS1, PC

Currently Playing: Fallout: New Vegas

Saturday, July 11th 2009, 11:04pm

Tomb Raider: Origins

Tomb Raider: Origins

The first details of the next instalment in the Tomb Raider franchise reveals that we will be taken to Lara's past as a storm wrecks her research vessel, leaving her stranded on a mysterious and remote island off the shores of Japan. Despite several signs of various inhabitants, the island is oddly deserted and an uneasy feeling settles in as strange sounds emerge from the shadows. With only her determination, inner strength, and resourcefulness to help her, Lara must overcome the challenges of a harsh and unforgiving journey that will take her across a vast island wilderness and deep into the claustrophobic and menacing underground tombs from the island's past. As she struggles to prevail through brutal combat encounters and treacherous exploration, Lara will be pushed to her limits and forced to adapt to her situation in order to survive and escape from the lethal predators that stalk her every move.

• Hunt or Be Hunted: Evade, outsmart, track, and kill the mysterious enemies that hunt you as prey.
  • Survival Action: Brutally attack and defend yourself as you fight to survive through visceral one-on-one melee combat.
  • Strategic Weapons: Gain an advantage in combat by finding an array of different melee and ranged weapons including a variety of guns and the hunter's ultimate weapon, the bow.
  • Creative Survival: React and adapt to the island by using only that which you can salvage from the environment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat gameplay options.
  • Free Movement: Scramble up a vertical cliff, sprint and leap across a huge chasm, steer mid-air to land a misdirected jump. There is no right way to traverse, survive, and explore the harsh environment of the island.
  • One Cohesive World: The diverse multi-region island is an open playground alive with creatures, weather, and natural events.
  • Origin Story: This new Tomb Raider concept reboots the franchise by exploring the origins of Lara Croft's transformation into a hardened adventurer as you unravel the story behind the island's mysterious past.
http://www.fourplayercoop.com/news/444-tomb-raider-reboot-the-first-details

Thoughts?
RPG Character Profile
"A famous explorer once said that the extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are."

Wile E. Coyote

Roadrunner Raider

• "Wile E. Coyote" is male

TR Platforms: PC, PS2, PS3, PSP

Currently Playing: Uncharted, Rise of the Tomb Raider

Sunday, July 12th 2009, 8:52am

I think there has to be something about it since they took down the pictures after a few hours... ;-)

...and as always, when something gets on the internet, everyone copies it. Searching with google turns up quite a few other sources. (Just a reminder: PLEASE don't post any copyrighted pictures in the forum. Since the site that originally posted the pictures already had lawyer-trouble, it would be unwise to publish them anywhere.)
--
Signature is futile.

tombraidergirl

Lara Croft

• "tombraidergirl" is female

TR Platforms: PC, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, Android Tablet

Currently Playing: SotTR, Detroit, RDR2

Sunday, July 12th 2009, 11:17am

I am not so sure about all the information given out.

For one it sounds a lot like the PS3 title Uncharted with one island to explore (actually this lack of variety was the only bad thing about Uncharted btw), mixed with a little Indiana Jones (machete) and LOST mysticism.

Concerning the free climbing promise I just hope that this time it will be true, because that was one of the biggest weaknesses of the previous games, you always knew there was only one way to conquer a climbing wall, and if you found a second path it was a secret.

Sir Richard Croft

Starting Raider

TR Platforms: PC

Sunday, July 12th 2009, 2:38pm

Ha, Tomb Raider goes on :happyjump

Well, I don't know what to think about these information. I hope that Crystal will not put up another biographie of Lara. We've had enough of those by now, I think. I liked the one from TRL/TRA/TRU and hope, they'll stick to it. Which does *not* mean going on with the search mother/fight Natla and Amanda plotline, I think we had enough of it, though I really liked it; just don't want conflicts with the existing biographie.

Mh, I hope they will stick to the existing saving system. Liked it very much to be able to just *play* without always worrying whether I should save *again*.

Is there already an anouncement when they want to publish?

Catracoth

• "Catracoth" is male

Tuesday, July 14th 2009, 2:31am

No other information regarding it has been given other than a press statement saying that the leaked images and information are in fact legitimate. I'll post the link to my source tomorrow for I need to go to bed early for work in the morning. I'm pretty sure it can be found via Google for the impatient, ;-) .
RPG Character Profile
"A famous explorer once said that the extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are."

BethRaider16

Casual Explorer

• "BethRaider16" is female

TR Platforms: PS1, PS2 & PS3

Currently Playing: Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation

Tuesday, July 14th 2009, 5:07pm

The island sounds really interesting. I hope Alister comes back! (Yeah, I'm still gnawing at THAT bone)

Catracoth

• "Catracoth" is male

Tuesday, July 14th 2009, 10:51pm

The island sounds really interesting. I hope Alister comes back! (Yeah, I'm still gnawing at THAT bone)
The game takes place before the events of Tomb Raider I. I highly doubt Lara even knew who Alister was at that time, considering she doesn't meet Zip until much later in her life.
RPG Character Profile

BethRaider16

Casual Explorer

• "BethRaider16" is female

TR Platforms: PS1, PS2 & PS3

Currently Playing: Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation

Friday, July 17th 2009, 8:02pm

Before Tomb Raider 1, hmm...Didn't Core already do that? :|

Catracoth

• "Catracoth" is male

Friday, July 17th 2009, 11:21pm

Not really no, unless you consider a level in TRC to have ridden that horse then maybe, but TR: Origins is a reboot of the franchise starting from the very beginning so we see how Lara turned into the hardened archaeologist we all know and love.
RPG Character Profile

tombraidergirl

Lara Croft

• "tombraidergirl" is female

TR Platforms: PC, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, Android Tablet

Currently Playing: SotTR, Detroit, RDR2

Saturday, July 18th 2009, 12:30pm

I agree, that is not really the same concept. In Chronicles we learned how a very young Lara made her first contact with the supernatural and the dangers of her world. I assume this new concept will take a step further.

Catracoth

• "Catracoth" is male

Saturday, July 18th 2009, 9:24pm

Well it's a reboot so technically, everything from the past Tomb Raider games didn't happen yet, or if they even will happen in future games. I highly doubt it though. TR: Origins I believe shows us a Lara in her early twenties when she first starts out as an archaeologist and shows her experience all these mystical creatures. It shows us how she becomes a hardened archaeologist and given her past (being Origins), it explains why she isn't really surprised when seeing these strange creatures like the Unknown Entity, the Thralls, etc.
RPG Character Profile