Tuesday, July 10th 2007, 11:05pm

A Walk to Remember

Did You Enjoy the Story?

A total of 4 Votes have been submitted.

100%

Yes, I Did (4)

0%

No, I Didn't

I decided to write a short story. Lara reads a note left by Winston, from a friend from University at a restaurant in Vauxhall Cross. Turns out, it's not what she'd expected.

Quoted

Written by Amanda Evert
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
A Walk to Remember

I was left a note from Winston. It was to meet an old friend, Jean Claude DuPont, at the local Adega Restaurant in Vauxhall Cross. We’ve some catching up to do. Jean Claude was an old friend at University. He’s a fellow archaeologist, but he doesn’t retrieve ancient artifacts. He just locates them, photographs them, and publishes the photos on his website. We haven’t talked much since we’ve departed. It’s been quite a long time. I doubt he’ll look as I’d remember him by.

I left the manor at around 9:25pm. I decided to take the Aston Martin today. As I drove to the restaurant, it started to rain. Good thing I chose not to dress expensively! I just threw on a black shirt, leather jacket, leather pants, and biker boots. I didn’t feel like wearing anything uncomfortable. As I arrived, I took note that the rain was slowing down. I exited my car and took off my black sunglasses, as they were unnecessary. I stowed them away safely in my jacket pocket.

I entered the restaurant, and viewed the gorgeous atmosphere. A nice 1950’s design, with a touch of antiquities. Not overdone, the décor. It was quite lovely. I approached the podium.

“Reservations for one, Madam?”, the host asked.

“Actually”, I replied, “I’m meeting someone. Perhaps he’d reserved a table? Jean Claude DuPont.”

The host checked the roster. “Ah, yes. Right this way”, he replied, gesturing for me to follow him.

He lead me to a table in the middle of the room, where a man in a brown dress jacket, cream colored khakis, and brown moccasins was reading the menu. I suppose it’s Jean Claude.

I sat down across from him. He hadn’t noticed my presence, so I made him aware by clearing my throat.

“Jean Claude, I presume?”

He looked up from the menu in disbelief. “Lady Croft? Could it possibly be you?”, he asked in his suave, deep French accent.

He hadn’t changed a bit, except of course in age.

“Jean Claude, it’s great to see you again. How’ve you been? Keeping up with the latest archaeological advancements, correct?”

“Of course, Lara. You know me. On the, how do you say, edge, of everything.”

I laughed a little. Oh how I missed Jean Claude. It’s great to be speaking with him again.

“Lara, if you don’t mind my asking, I’ve heard that you’ve recently uncovered an Egyptian artifact last week. The horus idol? What have you done with it?”

“Oh, I brought it home with me. It’s sitting in the trophy room, of course.”

“That’s a fantastic find”, he commented, “May I see it?”

“To take another archaeological photograph and post it upon your website, no doubt?”, I replied.

“No, Lady Croft.”, he replied, reaching for something in his jacket pocket.

I had a quick glimpse of the item, but not enough to make out what it was, for he quickly put it under the table.

“To claim it.”

I slowly peered under the table to see a suppressed Walther P99, aimed directly at me. I looked back up and sighed. I knew the greed would overcome him sooner or later.

“You’ll take me to your manor, and hand me the artifact.”

“And if I refuse?”, I asked angrily.

“Then, I easily put a bullet in you, break into your house, and retrieve it myself.”

The waiter came over and smiled at us.

“Would the lady and gentleman like to order?”, he asked.

But then, he dropped his cloth near our table and bent down to pick it up. He must have noticed the gun, because in mid-bend, he paused briefly and slowly stood back up, and leaned toward me.

“Madam, your friend has a gun under here.”, he nervously stated.

“Yes, thank you, I’m quite aware of that.”, I replied.

He quickly walked away, and I rose from the chair, Jean Claude doing the same. He stood closely behind me with the gun to my back, and ushered for me to walk. I carefully reached into my leg pocket and pulled out a small combat knife. I quickly spun around, stabbing him in the chest.

I looked in his eyes and saw the disbelief that I had just killed him. I was saddened by my actions, but had realized the truth. It was either him or me.

I sat him down on the chair and quickly proceeded out of the restaurant. As I made my way outside, the rain was not slow at all, but raining down hard. I looked into the dark sky, and the rain hit my face, gently rolling down, making my eyeliner run with it.

I was wrong. Jean Claude did change, not only by age. Greed had clearly taken over him and it was a pity that he would so easily threaten and endanger a friend just to have an artifact. A teardrop rolled down my eye. Or perhaps it was a raindrop. It was water, blended with black eyeliner. Due to the rain, and mixed emotions, I’m not sure if I cried, or it was merely mother nature.

I walked down the street to my car. It was a walk to remember. The day I had killed a friend. But he wasn’t my friend. He never was. Not anymore. I got in my car and drove back home. It was going to be a long night.

THE END

Metroida

Explorer

• "Metroida" is male

TR Platforms: PC DS

Currently Playing: Pokemon Diamond (DS)

Wednesday, July 11th 2007, 11:13am

^ Cool! :applaud: You should be a writer..
Metroida, 100% Tomb Raider Fan! :london:

Vesper

Archaeologist

• "Vesper" has been banned
  • "Vesper" started this thread

TR Platforms: PS2 GBC GBA

Currently Playing: Dark Angel

Friday, July 13th 2007, 12:29am

Thank you, Metroida. I shall consider it, :D.

tomb raider lover

Starting Raider

• "tomb raider lover" is female

TR Platforms: PS2

Friday, July 13th 2007, 11:22pm

So Cool!

Vesper

Archaeologist

• "Vesper" has been banned
  • "Vesper" started this thread

TR Platforms: PS2 GBC GBA

Currently Playing: Dark Angel

Sunday, August 5th 2007, 10:29pm

Sorry for the late post. I hadn't realized there was another reply here, :o).

Thanks, tombraiderlover. I'm working on another short story, first person, in case you or Metroida, or anyone else is/are interested.

Metroida

Explorer

• "Metroida" is male

TR Platforms: PC DS

Currently Playing: Pokemon Diamond (DS)

Tuesday, August 7th 2007, 11:48am

Bring it on! ;-)
Metroida, 100% Tomb Raider Fan! :london: